Monday, November 9, 2009

Stillness of Morning - My commitment to rising before the sun


I have made a commitment to myself, my practice....and Nala (my darling dog).

Starting today - and everyday - I will rise before the sun. It is in the hours of morning when the stillness cannot help but invite a calmness into the body. A time to meditate, a time to think and create, a time for me, and a time for Nala to do what doggers do - sniff and explore. Starting today I commit to my continual rise before the sun.

In past when I have woken or chose to wake early before the sun - I have noticed a difference in my day - a contentment that is so amazing.
Why is this?

Our bodies are attuned with nature and naturally wake up with light. On the contrary - Its true we sleep better in darkness.
Our ancestors - before electricity was invented - would know it is time to get up because the sun was starting to come up!
Perhaps you like to sleep in the morning - if so - you can still wake with light. There are natural alarm clocks that turn on a light at the time it is set for then gradually increases in intensity.
Its good to expose ourselves to light when we first wake up - this triggers the "wake up" vibe in the body. We finish sleeping and we can get out of bed and start the day!

A few tips on morning wake ups and routines from the Yoga Journal website

I am excited. Making commitments to my practice is an important part of the journey, an important part of growth! Opening now to new opportunity that perhaps I was missing during my deep sleeps in my dark bedroom!

Enjoy the brightness of day and the stillness of night.

Namaste.

(Top Picture: A beautiful Santorini, Greece sunset - I took the photo in October 2006)

No comments: