Monday, March 21, 2016

Essentials for India - The Packing List

When preparing for my Indian adventure I read quite a few blogs, packing lists, travel websites, had been given information from friends, in addition to of course consulting a decade of travel experience I already have under my belt.
The list below is divided into a few sections. My best advice is to pack less than you think you need. Pack and repack. pack and repack. pack and repack. Keep taking things out. If you truly feel like you want to have something with you, bring it. Comfort can be nice in trying times. 

Things I am SO grateful to have brought:

-travel pillow (not only for sleeping but for yoga & meditation)
-hand sanitizer
-about 4 varietals of wipes (face wipes, body refreshers, lysol wipes for cleaning)
-travel mug for tea
-scarf (this can triple as a blanket and also eye mask for sleeping)
-custom essence spray (blended it before I left and added lovely lavender) 
-shampoo & conditioner from LUSH (in amazing little silver containers that won an award for green packaging) love love love these.
-hypoallergenic bed bug mattress protector (and pillowcase) (there most definitely are bed bugs....and I haven't been affected....brilliant investment, i feel so cozy)
-Birkenstocks 
-headlamp/flashlight 

My packing list of goodies:

-apple tablet and wireless keyboard
-light weight sleeping bag (MEC)
-medical travel insurance (i did not add contents insurance, I found the extra cost was not worth it as i did not really bring anything too valuable, except the tablet)
-neutrogena spray on 60spf sun protector
-toiletries....everyone's list will vary. A favourite: burts bees lip balm. Pack this type of stuff in ziplock bags
-extra ziplock bags - these will come in SO handy for so many things
-good bug spray. I am super natural when it comes to my products - but trust, go for the heavy duty outdoorsy/military grade stuff. 
-dr bronners "miracle" soap (it's body wash, it's laundry detergent, it's amazing) 
-tea tree essential oil (it has many great applications)
-oil of oregano & shelf stable probiotics
-glass waterbottle (life factory)
-earplugs & iphone for musica :) crucial
-"Teachings on Love" by Thich Naht Hanh (my favourite book) + one more book
-rain jacket
-down under layer (it's hard to pack for india if you are traveling all over due to so many climates....this light weight jacket also doubles as a second pillow)
-hiking boots
-good travel towel 
-mini backpack/daypack (i didn't bring on my trip to central america and always wished I had it)
-clothing will also vary for everyone...pack light, make each item of clothes work together ideally. I am happy to have light shorts and a tiny tank to sleep in...it's bloody hot here! You can easily buy clothing here though and will want to for sure! Dress conservatively.
-dry bags house my clothes and also double as a laundry bag (it's a nice way to divide stuff in the pack)
-mini lock securing the zipper of my pack (i would leave the tablet in here often and under the bed)
-light slip on shoes (like crocs)

Crap I wish i did not bring:

-a second warm scarf (already shipped home amongst other things)
-a second sports bra
-bug net (every place has them...even the shadier places)
-extra headphones 
-dry shampoo
-a heavier type journal....i haven't really written in it; something lightweight is better
-my favourite comb....i haven't used it once haha (my mother would be mortified!) I have really manageable hair and i just kinda let it be after i comb the conditioner thru it with my fingers :)
-my travel purse....i love it, Its just too cumbersome.
-a pretty extensive medical kit (although i did not really have to dive into it too much.....but medicine is readily available for cheap. This was a personal decision and had I needed something from here i may have been glad for the convenience of carrying it. And also I'm still in India...so there could be a revision to this note - but I hope not)

Things I thought about bringing and was glad I didn't:

-water sanitizing situation (i thought long and hard about this) I am doing no real trekking and can purchase bottled water everywhere easily
-blanket
-laptop
-a large padlock for securing my pack


Like on any journey make sure to bring your ninja street smarts and a beautiful open heart. 
Stay safe & Bon voyage. Love, Ashley

No comments: