Wednesday, March 30, 2016

hot as f*ck in south India.

Hot as F*ck in Varks aka. Varkala Beach, Kerala, India.

riding on my post panchakarma sparkle I have brought myself to the seaside for some sand, sun and shopping :) Varkala Beach has become a popular tourist and backpacker destination in south india, perched above the rolling ocean waves sits "North Cliff", where a pedestrian walkway leads you along the cliff top to explore shops, restaurants, hotels and yoga studios. Wandering the north you'll find countless vendors selling you everything under the sun. clothes, jewelry, purses, trinkets, and more shawls than your mind could ever dream of having. South cliff is a little more laid back, you'lll find "Holy beach" at the end of the main road where puja ceremonies dominate the shore and it is filled with indian locals on vacation. It's been a bit of an energetic adjustment coming to Varkala from the ashram. It can be exhausting when everyone you pass by is coming onto you, trying to sell you something or take you for a ride in their rickshaw. I can appreciate the effort, they are trying to make a living (and it is the end of the season so their are much fewer of us western folks to try their luck with.) C'est la vie, that's india!

I have not been completely comfortable for a while. I've been in Varks for a week now and it's blazing hot. The phrase "hot as fuck" was definitely coined by someone in India. Getting enough water is a very real concern. Buying coconuts roadside for 30 rupee is a daily regime.
My mornings begin around 6 or 7, I venture upstairs to the yoga shala on the roof for sitting meditation, pranayama & asana. There are no classes and I have free reign of the shala to take my time with morning practice. Gazing out across the sky, my eyes land on the palm trees in the distance. A gorgeous drishti for practice times. I've explored a few places on north cliff for breakfast, but my favourite still stands as the Passionfruit restaurant attached to my hotel Askshay Beach Residence. (their food is insanely good - some of the best i've had in india so far....I even got to help them cater a wedding when I first arrived! But more of that in another post!!)
The days have been fun. Over the first couple I met up with a few girls from the ashram. We had some lovely meals together and shopped shopped shopped. It's really been my first real shopping opportunity in India.....so i'm obviously taking full advantage. Not to mention the reduced low season prices. A local jeweller sold me a brilliant ring that i'm absolutely in love with, a handmade gift to myself of sparkling topaz to mark the completion of panchakarmaa and the start of a new beginning on my journey. It reminds me to shine bright and that patience & persistence are beautiful practices.
(A strategic choice on my behalf to wear no jewellery when beginning this pilgrimage to India i'm sure i'll be finding a few more treasures to sport along the way)

Even in this blazing heat i've been sure to do some exploring. Yesterday morning i decided to practice on the beach at 7am followed by a northward walk along the cliff and beyond to a local fishing village where the fishermen had just hauled the nets in and were yelling (a typical event) and haggling to unload the fish to middlemen who deliver to restaurants and markets. I ended up stumbling upon some pretty luxurious and secluded beach resorts close to there and caught a rickshaw back to my side of town.

This little oasis is spilling over with beach comers, stray dogs, epic ocean panoramic views and I have met some lovely people while on this leg of the journey. I'll stay another few days. I've been trying to get a train out of here....but it's proving a difficult task. 
Stay tuned for more on the glorious world of the indian railway....tickets, trials, tribulations and terrible toilets.

with love under the sun,

A

No comments: