Sunday, December 9, 2012

Antigua. Chicken Buses. The beautiful journey home.

Imagine cobblestone streets, colonial architecture, a Centre square lush with plants, birds, the tranquil sound of a water fountain that has been heard by the ears of passersby as far back as 1739.captivating Antigua; the original Guatemala city which now acts as the main tourist hub in Guatemala. It is rich with restaurants, bars, cafes and if you forgot to look up and see the volcanoes surrounding you, you'd feel lost in a perfect little European town.
You can find many comforts of home here in Antigua...especially in the ways of food.
Since this was the first place we stayed...it was important to both of us to get a little gritty first, and didn't opt for a nice bottle of wine and cheese - rather we dined out and acquired our first dinner together at a local street vendor.
Dinner was followed by drinks at Cafe Nosae, hitting the Irish pub, running into a travel friend of Alex's and concluded with a late night strol back to Hostilico Hostel.
As much as I have read and heard stories of the power and magesty of the lake when you experience it first hand...the whole world melts away and there is just beauty waking we decided, as we had loosely planned, to continue on our travels to the lake. Packed up our rucksacks and we were off in search of a chicken bus.
On a side note... At this point I am starting to realize how essential it is to speak Spanish!
(As I sit and write this I have just signed up for Spanish lessons...but its one week after the events I am currently writing about...more on this later)
Chicken buses. Holy shit. I am sat beside local Mayans...there are probably over 60 of them surrounding me on a converted blue bird school bus originally designed for 30 people that is whipping through the Guatemalan streets at top speed.
Super crazy driving...but at this point not really a bother.
I was more concerned about my pack that had just been flung onto the roof while I ran to catch up to the already moving bus which I then jumped onto!
Talk about adventure.
5 more buses, 2 boats and about 4 hours later...Lake Atitlan.
We made it.
I will never forget the first time I laid eyes on my new home. The anticipation of the past year had settled and beyond the tropical landscape out in the distance there she was. Clear and calm the beauty of the ripples reflecting the sun's rays...a near perfect sight. I never expected to feel this overwhelming sense of joy, but it radiated from my heart and I couldn't help but cry.
One of the best moments of my life seeing the lake for the first time and I knew right then I was changed forever.

No comments: