Sunday, December 16, 2012

Mayan Life

Colorful skirts and woven blankets, avocados and bananas, dedication and kindness.
The Mayan way of life has captured my heart. Its hard to believe The people of Guatemala live in such trying conditions - but most of them very much so...radiate happiness.
It has been extremely humbling to live amongst them. We walk the same streets, and share this special landscape.
There seems to be an understanding here at the lake - between the Mayans and gringo populations. There are Mayan owned businesses, notably our local tienda operated by Lewis who has much patience with me as I continue to practice my Spanish with him everyday. On the contrary, an English owned bar and restaurant called Fe, selling comforts of home...at a price of course but particularly great are the currys. The owner has been here for so many years he has a Mayan wife and child...but looks worn like he needs a vacation and a break from the steady flow of coffee and cigarettes.
Its an interesting fusion here and everyone seems to find their place.
Old ladies, their daughters and grand daughters all selling textiles, fruits, homemade bread. Ladies, I am sure as old as 80, work hard, and Alex tells me they were selling the same small bananas at the same corner 4 years ago when he first arrived.
Its easy to be a tourist, to come and go, to buy souvenirs and observe a different way of life. I continue to feel lucky though, to have found a place here for the moment, to enjoy these inclusive ways of Mayan village life. To integrate with mindfulness into the peaceful San Maros makes me smile, and laugh, as the ongoing joke always highlights the fact that when people arrive at the lake - they find it hard to leave, and almost never do.
I am here now, no intention of packing anytime soon - but rather allowing my time to be spent sharing my joy with this beautiful community.

No comments: