Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Ashley & the Indian Post Office Experience...part one.

Post office arrival about 11am.
Wait in line to get good packed up (mandatory for customs inspection)
Get to front of line. No boxes that will fit all my stuff. (no boxes at all really!)
12:15pm am directed to go across the street to the paint place and they will give me a box.
12:25pm back in line (the box retrieval was unspeakably quick.) 
12:30 sweet indian man starts packing up my box
1:30 after a few "back in 5 minutes" sweet indian man completes package (using way more tape, string and exacto knife maneuvers than necessary...but perhaps it's necessary for the one month transit period of said box)
1:40ish sweet indian box packer friend directs me over to a window and points to a sign signalling me to write certain words on the custom papers i have previously filled out. I need another form. Apparently he couldn't have told me this an hour ago.
1:50 Waiting at window for attendant to help.
2pm still waiting. My package is now brought over to where I am waiting.
2:10 Things are looking good and a new man sits down to enter all the information into their computer system. Bad news, it's going to cost 5800 rupees which i don't have in cash.
2:20 Phoebes guards the package and I run to the bank
2:27 back from the bank. New information entering man has vanished.
2:30 i causally joke that he probably went to lunch. This is exactly what he has done.
2:45 move to next counter and wait for new lady to start the process over.
2:55 get swarmed by people in line behind me pushing their hands through the window which i'm clearly standing in front of
3pm try to take up more space and fend off the inpatient customers behind me.
3:20 - can't believe that it's over. 
3:21 - thinking to myself that after all that i might never see that package again. 

No comments: