Tuesday, April 12, 2016

kickin' it in Darj.

Arriving in Darjeeling India about a week ago, did I know then how this incredibly magical place would lift my spirits as it has? I'd like to think yes, but nothing prepares one for what it is like to hike in the himalayas for the first time.

I came here to trek. To walk in the hills like people have for centuries and centuries. To be deep in nature, both the external and my inner world. 

Following my senses as per this adventure I settled in Darj town for a few days, explored, met some locals, had delicious meals, got incredibly sick; all the while keeping my ears open for a crew of trekking mates I could team up with. After laying in bed the entire day recovering from a heavy dose of food poisoning I ventured out for about an hour, to get some fresh air and check my email from a quaint little cafe called Glenary's.

Overhearing a guy two tables away speak to some locals about "trek" and "five days" my senses were alerted. Yup, i needed to talk to this dashing looking man. As he was leaving I had also just packed up my belongings and we met as we were both walking out. "Hi i'm sorry to bother you, but I heard you talking about trekking and I just wanted to ask you about it"
"I'm Will" he says to me with a smile.
And the rest is history. We walked to meet his friends (funnily enough at the same trekking agency that I'd been inquiring at) and I loved them immediately. Three dudes from the states...we were all about the same age, and all equally as excited for the days ahead. 
I actually didn't commit right away...it took me a little contemplation time (the idea of leaving in the morning and packing up all my stuff that night after not sleeping at all the night before wasn't exactly sitting well with me....) but it just felt right and I knew this was it.
We left things as "maybe i'll see you in the morning or maybe I won't".
I found out later they had given me about a 30% chance of committing. Ha! 
Well I ran into them at the bank about half an hour later and proved them all wrong.
So I packed up, got a good night's sleep, and met the team the next morning. 
Will, Gabe, Sandeep, Ram (our guide) and I were off to the mountains.

No comments: