Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Solo Travel; thoughts from the train.

I try to fly under the radar the best I can when I travel. Sporting a relatively ugly hat, local dress, no makeup and sunglasses, none the less there is still no mistaking my white skin. The look of a woman who is like a fish out of water but also equally at home in her element of travel and adventure.

When I travel I love to get to the heart of the community. Imagine what it would be like to live there, act less like a tourist and (when appropriate) aim to integrate into the rhythms of daily life, feel the flow and contribute positively to people's lives and way of life.

The past five weeks in India have been incredibly amazing, they have been equally as challenging. I have pushed myself and been pushed far beyond the boundaries of comfort. I have faced my mind head on, my self imposed fears and mind's nature. I have also been grateful to recognize when very real circumstantial fear has forced me to step up to the plate and pushed me to expand.
Traveling alone is hard. It is unfamiliar and familiar. It is extreme highs and heavy lows. It's hot, dirty, wonderful and humbling. I feel very fortunate to be on this journey and I am thankful for the love and support that surrounds me; near and far

April 7th 12:15am

Indian princess down.
Travelling alone is incredibly rewarding. But when you get sick it's a huge test of will. I was awoken in the night; tummy churning, head pounding, and I just threw up (in my ghetto little Indian toilet).
All signs point to "Delhi belly". Damn you vegetarian noodle soup.
I have been lucky and wonderfully healthy for over 6 weeks. No issues with the food. Haven't been sick! The trend has now been broken. And it's rough.
Sitting up in my bed, wrapped in a blanket...I've reached a low point. I'm not well.
There have most certainly been times I've wanted to go home this trip, this moment is at the top of that list. 
I'm really down. I want the comfort of home and the people I love. I just ate an entire pack of tums.
Also, a massive spider just crawled up my wall near the door. Ugh. This too shall pass. 
India:1, Ashley:0

No comments: